If you run a search on google for The Great Programming Language Shootout it
shows performance graphs between a number of languages in a number of categories
including tight loops, number crunching, etc.  I don't remember if php was
included though, perl and python were though.  Actually that's a good
site to research how different languages approach certain problems as well.

	Charles Comstock