On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Mitch Vincent wrote:
> I think Ruby is suited to everything, it's an awesome
> language, I wouldn't say it's better than PHP for web apps though...

If anyone is interested in using Ruby for web apps - I've been working on
a fairly sophisticated Ruby-based web framework on the model of Apple's
WebObjects.  Its main selling point is a complete separation of
presentation from logic - each page/component consists of a single ruby
class definition and a single block of pure html, with no need for
embedded code or special tags, and with the framework taking care of the
mechanics of syncing the html elements to the ruby class (roughly, form
elements <-> attributes, links/submits -> methods, lists/tables <-
arrays).  Your applications run persistently, communicating
to the outside world through a simple apache module.

I'm hesitant to release it publicly at this point mostly because it has
essentially no documentation... but if anyone's seriously interested I
wouldn't mind making it available in a limited way.

avi