On Thursday, February 19, 2004, 12:24:40 AM, Craig wrote:

> I would like to add or move a file to a pre-existing gzipped file.  Nobu
> tipped me off to the fact that Ruby has built in zlib methods.  I can't,
> however, find any good examples of what I want to do.  Specifically, I'd
> like to move all *.log files in a directory to a file named Archived.gz.
> Help please?
> Kindest Regards-
> Craig

I'd love to say I knew how, but I don't.  If you take a look at

  http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/zlib/rdoc/index.html

you can see what classes and methods are implemented.  With
experimentation, you'll probably get somewhere.

Ooops, just looked and saw that there is some documentation alongside
the source code: ext/zlib/doc/zlib.rd.  That means it's probably on
the web somewhere; try Google.

Any volunteers for converting this RD documentation into RDoc format
inside the source code? ;)

Cheers,
Gavin

PS. GZip compresses single files, unlike ZIP, which creates compressed
archives.  So getting a bunch of files into a .gz file is not feasible
without using TAR.  I don't know how people might go about creating
compressed archives with Ruby.  I use: system("tar zcvf ...")