Hi,

At Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:40:03 +0900,
Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> cd /usr/ports/devel/autoconf && make install clean
> cd /usr/ports/devel/automake && make install clean
> cd /usr/ports/devel/gmake && make install clean
>
> That'll give you most everything you need to get peoples stuff up and
> running.

Well, you don't necessarily need automake and gmake to build ruby, but
you'll need them for building other pieces of software anyway.

By the way, you may want to set RUBY_ARCH as follows in
/etc/make.conf:

RUBY_ARCH=     ${MACHINE_ARCH}-freebsd${PORTOBJFORMAT}${OSREL}

so ruby module ports can build and work fine with your custom-built
ruby.  Somehow the ports system gives a configure script a configure
target that is not equal to what most configure scipts automatically
detect.

I'll mention this somewhere, maybe in English version of Install
Guide. (Not available yet)

> > Also, if I am updating ruby, do I need to remove any files before the make
> > or make install?
>
> They should just over-write, if you really want to remove them, you can
> just remove the old ruby port.

Absolutely true.

> BTW.. the FreeBSD ports collection is how I discovered Ruby. I discovered
> it through a flurry of commits by knu (Akinori MUSHA?), and said "What in
> gods name is this ruby thing that just got like 15 ports committed for
> it?".

Aha.  That's my inevitable way of promoting something. :)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"