nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote in message news:<200402140840.i1E8ewFH014793 / sharui.nakada.niregi.kanuma.tochigi.jp>...
> Hi,
>
> At Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:44:57 +0900,
> Sean Russell wrote in [ruby-talk:92854]:
> > Head over the REXML bug page if you have other feature requests or
> > bugs you want to report.  This is a good time to get requests in.
>
> What about [ruby-core:01960]?

Well... the patch in 01960 undoes a bunch of work that was done
specifically to fix some encoding problems.  It may have created new
encoding support problems, but at least the new code is going in the
right direction.

> * thread-unsafe due to passing string by a class variable,

Yeah, this could be a problem.  But it wasn't any better before.

> * inefficiency due to load and eval each time, and

I'm not terribly concerned about this, as I don't expect this to
contribute significantly to the overall overhead of parsing.

> * method names in SHIFT[-_]JIS.rb are not required ones.

This should be fixed in CVS already, a long time ago.

However: all of the Japanese encoding support is *untested*.  I don't
have any Shift-JIS or EUC encoded XML files to test.

Please, send me a small Shift-JIS encoded and a small EUC encoded XML
file, and I'll be happy to put a unit test in to make sure the
Japanese encoding works.

--- SER