"Hadmut Danisch" <spamblock / danisch.de> skrev i en meddelelse
news:c0j99t$t9p$04$1 / news.t-online.com...
> Hi,
>
> I need to convert between different character sets,
> but didn't find any library to do so except for
> ruby-gnome's glib.convert
>
> Is there any character conversion library which
> doesn't come with a complete graphical library?

I'm not aware of any but that isn't to say there isn't one :-)
I assume you have checked out "iconv" which I have no experience with.

There is a good code page tutorial here - follow a few links if you need.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

The utf-8 format is easily decomposed into UCS2, and from there it is fairly
easy to go to 8859-1 because it is only 256 characters and most of them are
in the lower 8 bytes of UCS2.
You should btw. also consider 8859-9 (I think it is) it's basically 8859-1
with the euro sign.

Mikkel