Jim Freeze <jim / freeze.org> writes:

> When I read that ruby could be used to replace PHP I got really
> excited. But, the link on the application pages rates its status as
> 'unstable'. Is this correct or just out of date?
>
> Could someoene please help me with the following questions:
>
> 1) Is mod_ruby (ie with Apache) ready for prime time?

I use it for a small-scale internal project, and it hasn't failed me yet.
That certainly isn't "prime time", though.

> 2) Is it as fast as php3
> 3) Does it consume more resources than php?
> 4) Can the scripts for it, or are there plans for it, be compiled like
> PHP4 (ie Zend).

I can't answer these.

> 5) Does mod_ruby require eruby?
> 6) If not, what is the advantage of using both?

No, mod_ruby doesn't require eruby. They are two different things: mod_ruby
lets Apache run Ruby scripts. eruby lets you embed Ruby in HTML, like PHP.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"Is 'anal-retentive' hyphenated?" -- Tech Writer (reported by Richard Wesley)