"romerun" <romerun / romerun.com> wrote in message news:<001601c3f14f$734380e0$95730197@wrongturn>...
> > > Project Goals
> > > =============
> > > The goal of this project is to make Ruby an excellent
> > > choice for developing on the Win32 platform.  Ruby has
> > > lagged behind Perl and, especially, Python in the
> > > Win32 arena.  We intend to not only equal Perl and
> > > Python in terms of Win32 development viability, but
> > > surpass them both in terms of a superior API and
> > > additional packages.

Well, first let me say that this post was made accidentally by Park to
this newsgroup.  It was meant as a private email for our web guy.

> After the release of the "superior API"/additional packages,
> People will compile them into parrot VM,
> then both Perl and Python can call those library as if
> the library were written in their languages.
>
> Ruby can do the samething vis versa.
>
> Why reinvent the wheel ..

Possible answers:

1) Because I don't feel like waiting 2-3 years for Parrot to be
finished.
2) Because in some cases the Win32 API calls the Python and
(especially) Perl libraries use are deprecated.
3) Because in some cases the Perl and Python libraries don't support
everything we currently, or plan to, support, e.g. asynchronous named
pipes (now in CVS btw).
4) Because I can.

Regards,

Daniel Berger