"chad fowler" <chadfowler / yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20010114033148.10886.qmail / web2305.mail.yahoo.com...

> As a converting Java-to-Ruby programmer, I still get hung up on
> typing.  The same is true of all my Java friends who are moving on
> to loosely typed languages.  Somehow, we all yearn for some
> strictness--especially with regard to defining interfaces.  Strange,
> isn't it?  It's almost like we're all obsessed with writing
> contracts.  Maybe we should have been lawyers.

Ruby is *not* loosely typed. It is dynamically typed. It's type
checking is better than C++'s, which has holes in it, making it
_weakly_ typed.

Secondly, with dynamic languages you still need to think in terms of
interfaces. Just because they are not checked at compile time does not
mean they are not their or that they are not important.

--
Patrick Logan
mailto:patrickdlogan / home.com