On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:45:47AM +0900, Masayoshi Takahashi wrote:
> But Tanaka Akira had a different opinion. He suggests
> to solve this problem generally; to add a new method
> to load with relative path.
> Matz disagree to make the require method load libraries
> with relative path, but he allowed other method to do it.
> Some details are not determined yet:
>
>   * name
>   * handling of symbolic link
>
> In addition, Tanaka made an advice to record the full path
> in $:. Matz agreed and promised to implement it when
> he has a time to do.

For the record, I really like both of these ideas; they would completely
eliminate the use I have for requirelocal/loadlocal in RubyTreasures.

>   [ruby-dev:22790] avoid duplicate load/require in Win32
>
> In relation to the previous topic, take_tk made a request to ignore
> cases of library path in the file system which didn't distinguish
> cases. But Matz felt he should take case of case of path when
> he uses case-insensitive platform, and rejected the request.

What is "case of case of path"?

It seems to me the right way to handle this problem is to use a
case-sensitive require (if the case of the require doesn't match the
case of the file being required, then raise an exception).  The reason
is that code that assumes case doesn't matter will break when it is
ported to a system where case does matter.

Paul