Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins / ieee.org> wrote in message news:<401D5E09.9030401 / ieee.org>...
> For the record, here's a workaround:
>
> http://butter.homeunix.net/~kapheine/source.rb
>
> Here's the bug report:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/ruby-bugs/incoming?id=1271;expression=rexml;page=1;user=guest

Steve,

Sorry for the delay.  I've been really distracted for the past few
months with this and that.  I'll check your workaround, and your bug
report.  I've got a ton of work to do with REXML; one reason I've been
taking so long to fix things is that the performance issue with 1.8.x
is really bothering me; the memory usage of REXML is much worse under
1.8 than it is under 1.6, and I've been blocked trying to figure that
out.

Anyway, sorry -- to everybody -- for being such a laggard.  Things
should be better now.

--- SER