ksh93 has an interesting feature that allows you to add commands to it by
writing C extensions, thus (I think) opening the door to using Ruby (and RAA
modules) for writing ksh extensions.

I was thinking this might be an interesting way to incrementally replace
large collections of ksh code with Ruby behind the scenes, while still
retaining a familiar ksh interface for groups of people who are never likely
to learn Ruby to use.

Any thoughts on this half-baked idea? (Has anyone tried doing this with
Perl? I didn't see anything that looked relevant in the first couple of
pages of results when I tried some simple-minded searches at Google and
CPAN.)

Conrad