On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:49:54 +0900, Carlos wrote:

> [...]
>> Probably due to my heavy background of assembly and C programmer, I first
>> imagine that these 2 objects might interact via an object which is passed
>> from the manager to the application object appropriate method to handle
>> the request and returned to the manager object with some data inside.
> [...]
>> I know it would work, but I don't like it (...)
>
> I'm not design expert, but I would call a method on the application object
> for every different request, and return/pass in parameters the needed data.

The problem was the number of parameters, with a too long parameter list
it is sometimes difficult to remember the parameters order.

I will use your design and group parameters in objects
All the application object methods will look like this :

def app_xxx( requestObject, dataObject = nil )

  # examine the request object to know more exactly what to do
  # eventually read and/or update the dataObject
  # return status, completion codes, completion and error messages etc.
  replyObject

end

.... well ... it was not a typical Ruby question ...

> You can also do this, if manager and application are different
> processes, using DRb.

I haven't heard about this, I will have a look at the docs right now
because I'll soon be concerned by process and machine communication.

Thank you for your reply.