Nathaniel Talbott <nathaniel / talbott.ws> wrote in message news:<013A62D9-5595-11D8-99FF-000A95CD7A8E / talbott.ws>...
> On Feb 2, 2004, at 00:09, Phil Tomson wrote:
>
> > bottom line:
> > I'd like to be able to recommend Ruby for work projects and not get
> > 'never heard of it' comments and questions about where would they find
> > Ruby programmers if I were hit by a bus.
>
> The next time they ask you about the bus, you're welcome to give them
> my email address :-)

;-)  Are you still in Oregon?

> Seriously, I know so many _excellent_ programmers that would jump at
> the chance to get paid for Ruby coding. I don't think buses (or trains
> for that matter) are really a problem.

I totally agree and I would add that any good programmer that has
experience in other languages and some OO background can pick up Ruby
and be productive in a few days.  I was talking about management
perceptions of the language.  We both would agree that these
perceptions are inaccurate, but they're still a barrier.

Phil