gabriele renzi wrote:
> define application framework. Maybe amrita could fit in here?

Damn...I was afraid someone would call my bluff :)

OK, in all honesty, I'm not sure precisely what the term means. (Or
perhaps it's (ab)used to mean multiple things.)

My particular end goals for this upcoming project are:

* A common set of features in the application core (e.g. calendar,
message board, media library, various hierarchies of pages).

* CMS for various pages and pieces. (User accounts, permissions on who
can edit or create content, etc.)

* For multiple clients buying into the package (all on the same host),
the ability to skin the output uniquely per client. (I don't much care
how this is accomplished; could be common XML + unique XSLT per client
(merged on the server, not client), or perhaps some sort of template
abstraction hierarchy.)

I certainly don't expect anyone to have developed this dream
applications as a free 'framework'. What I'm looking for is:

* Something that may speed development time. (Perhaps handles CMS issues
well, or makes common things like client+server side form validation
trivial.)

* Something that adds strong features. (Perhaps a template/caching
system which improves performance by not hitting the database multiple
times every time a page is requested.)

* Something that is flexible. (I don't want to be constrained by the
system as to what I can and cannot do with the end application.)

It's rather vague, I know. This is partially due to secrecy concerns;
partially because we're not far enough along in the project to know
precisely what features we will be implementing; and partially because
I've never used a web application framework before, and so don't what
one offers.

Clear? Confusing? Does that provide enough details to at least help you
help me? :)

--