Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, 1:19:57 AM, Brad wrote:
>
> > All:
>
> > This may be mentioned somewhere, but I have yet to see an explanation
> > of what the difference between:
>
> >     Class#method
>
> > and
>
> >     Class.method
>
> > is in the documentation.
>

>   Class#instance_method         (Array#size)
>
>   Class.class_method            (Regexp.escape)
>
> Class methods are really just singleton methods on a class object.
> That's why I prefer Class.method notation to Class::method, which is
> also allowed.
>
> Class#method is a documentation convention only; the language does not
> recognise it.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin

Gavin:

Hey thanks for the reply!  I kind of figured that the use of '#' between
a class and a method was only a documentation convention.  But it wasn't
clear what the notation was used to mean.  i.e. both # and . were used,
but without explanation of the difference. :)

It's been mentioned that the use of # signifies an instance method and
the use of . signifies a class method. (Thanks to Dan Doel for this
explanation)  Though, as Dan said, it's unclear if this is the actual
difference between the two symbols.

Thanks,
Brad