As promised in another thread, I am working on a new web version of the
Pickaxe book ("Programming Ruby - The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide").

Why?

* This is a framed version, which (with JavaScript enabled) keeps the
book chapters syncrhonized with the Wiki pages noting changes due to 1.8).

* This version is valid HTML4 markup, with consistent semantic markup.
(I kept the styles similar to the existing HTML versions, albeit
slightly cleaner...however, a single different CSS file could be used to
change the look near-completely.) [1]

* Unlike all other versions based on the 0.4 release of the HTML/XML,
this version has included in it some very important 25 missing pages
from the section "The Ruby Language"! [2]

So, please check out the work so far [3] at:
http://phrogz.net/ProgrammingRuby/
and give me feedback. (It seems to work and look correct in Safari 1.2,
Mozilla 1.4, and IE6Win. Does it fail for you? Does something about the
display frustrate you?)

(-, /\ \/ / /\/

[1] When I started out, I was just going to frame the existing HTML.
Then I saw how broken it was. So I thought "Hey, I have the XML, it must
be clean...I'll just throw a few regexp at it and voila! clean HTML."
Almost a week later, I'm a little over halfway done with all the pages. :|

[2] Dave kindly supplied me with some new XML, but only after I found an
HTML version of 0.3a on the web and started cleaning it. Sorry
Dave...I'll look through the XML soon and clean up the changes as needed.

[3] Only the following sections are done: "Introduction", "Facets of
Ruby", "Ruby in Its Setting", and "Ruby Crystallized"
I'm working on the Library Reference section now.