Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "pty.so: [BUG] Segmentation fault"
>     on 04/02/07, Bob Gustafson <bobgus / rcn.com> writes:
>
> |The program below will work on the same machine using ruby-1.6.8
> |What can I do to smoke this bug out?
>
> Hmm, is there somebody to confirm this on Solaris 2.7?
>
> 							matz.

No segfault here.

$ ruby -v bugtest.rb
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.7]
This is a test
$ cat bugtest.rb
require 'pty'
puts "This is a test"

However, I did have some strange behavior while updating from 2003-12-22
to 2003-12-25. After building and installing the latter, ruby -v told me
I still had the earlier version. So I blew away my entire
$PREFIX/lib/ruby, and rebuilt, and that fixed the version discrepancy.

Is it possible that the include path found version.h in
$PREFIX/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.7/ before the one in the build dir?
I've never seen this problem on linux, and I don't recall seeing it
before on solaris.

A typical compiler invocation looks like:

gcc -I/usr/path/include   -I. -I. -I/usr/path/include -c class.c

So it does look like my install dir is being searched first. My
configure command is simply

./configure --prefix=/usr/path

Anyway, the OP might want to try manually deleting lib/ruby and rebuilding.