Jim Freeze wrote:

> I don't have the command autoconf.
> I am running FreeBSD 3.4R.

Here is what I do to prep my FreeBSD machines for compiling other peoples
source out of cvs:

cd /usr/ports/devel/autoconf && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/devel/automake && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/devel/gmake && make install clean

That'll give you most everything you need to get peoples stuff up and
running.

> Also, if I am updating ruby, do I need to remove any files before the make
> or make install?

They should just over-write, if you really want to remove them, you can
just remove the old ruby port.

pkg_delete ruby-1.6.2

BTW.. the FreeBSD ports collection is how I discovered Ruby. I discovered
it through a flurry of commits by knu (Akinori MUSHA?), and said "What in
gods name is this ruby thing that just got like 15 ports committed for
it?".

--
/ thomas r stromberg <thomas / stromberg.org>

"To cover all the earth with sheets of hide--Where could such amounts of
skin be found? But simply wrap some leather round your feet, and it's as
if the whole earth had been covered!" -- Shantideva.