> I followed README.win32  The compile was okay, just a few
> small things cropped up:
>
> 1.  rm is good to have(as pointed out in the readme).  I had to
>     download a dos version of rm from ftp.simtel.com

Already had it.

> 2.  As mentioned by another poster, make sure the PATH, INCLUDE,
>     and LIB paths are set up to find all the VC tools
>     (nmake, cl, lib, etc), headers, and libraries.

This was all fine, too.

At this point I just gave up, and decided to try it on my laptop (WinME).
Then I got the missing DLL warning and such...

> 3.  The compile sometimes complained I was missing a DLL (forgot
>     what it was) - so I used Find to locate it, and dumped it in
>     windows\system

And it compiled!

'nmake test' totally failed, though.  However, I copied the DLL to my
Win2000 machine and ran my little C++ program (which did nothing but call
'ruby_init()' and then exit) and it worked!

Or so I am assuming...

...for when I added a few more lines...

  ruby_script ("testing");
  rb_load_file ("test.rb");
  ruby_run();

...it exited on 'ruby_run()', returning 0.

'test.rb' runs just fine in Ruby, so I don't think that's the problem.

Well, progress was made.  It's not really clear to me what 'ruby_run()' is
supposed to do, anyway... though I seriously doubt it's supposed to exit the
program (i.e. no code after it was called).

> Btw, is Civ III going to use Ruby? :)

Well, it won't unless I can figure out how to embed Ruby code into a Windows
C++ program!  Ruby is way too slow to do the whole thing in Ruby.  Plus,
Microsoft doesn't make DirectX for Ruby.

I am teaching Sid Meier how to program in Ruby, though!  He seems a little
reluctant, but still interested.

Thanks for the help,

Chris Pine
Lead Programmer, Civilization III