In article <012a01c07c03$3fffaac0$15e08c3f@MATHBOY>,
  "Chris Pine" <cpine / firaxis.com> wrote:

> Did you compile in VC++ (using a .dsp), or were you following the
> instructions in the 'README.win32' file, using nmake and all that?
I've
> tried that, but I can't seem to get it to work.  It might be because
I'm on
> Windows 2000 instead of 98...
>
> Also, did you have any problems compiling it yourself?

I followed README.win32  The compile was okay, just a few
small things cropped up:

1.  rm is good to have(as pointed out in the readme).  I had to
    download a dos version of rm from ftp.simtel.com

2.  As mentioned by another poster, make sure the PATH, INCLUDE,
    and LIB paths are set up to find all the VC tools
    (nmake, cl, lib, etc), headers, and libraries.

3.  The compile sometimes complained I was missing a DLL (forgot
    what it was) - so I used Find to locate it, and dumped it in
    windows\system

4.  Several warnings appeared, but they didn't stop the compile.

5.  nmake test failed.  SIGINT, and an echo 'foobar' command
    didn't work.  Despite this, ruby does run great - just probably
    have to avoid trapping some signals.  I'm probably missing
    something, but ruby's running what I want it to...

If you're still having problems compiling, then maybe you need to
download the MS Platform SDK - making sure you have all the
win32 SDK libs.

If you do OLE, then you might want to get the win32ole package
from the ruby archive.  You have to recompile to install it.
It's pretty cool, although I didn't like the idea of recompiling
ruby to install a package...

Btw, is Civ III going to use Ruby? :)

Hope that helps!

Li-Te