--- George Moschovitis <gm / navel.gr> wrote:
> paul vudmaska <paul / vudmaska.com> wrote in message
> news:<401ECA9F.4070903 / vudmaska.com>...
> > Gavin Kistner wrote:
> >
> > > gabriele renzi wrote:

> > > --
> > > (-, /\ \/ / /\/
> > >
> > You've pretty well described Zope.org. When you're
> done porting that to
> > ruby, please send me a link to the code ;)
>
> you also described our Ruby Web Application Server
> (version 2 is
> codenamed 'Root') check out some examples (in greek,
> sorry):
>
> www.joy.gr
> www.pcmag.gr
> www.glamourmag.gr
> www.focusmag.gr
>
> it uses xml based server pages, xsl/css for skins,
> fragment/object
> caching, an object database system, plugable modules
> (cms, user pages,
> forum), and runs with mod_ruby or mod_fastcgi. It
> also allows realtime
> communication with flash clients using XmlSocket.
>
> the latest version has rather clean source code, so
> maybe we can
> release something pretty soon.
>
> regards,
> George Moschovitis

Nice! So these pages are running Root? I dont need to
know Greek to see there is a lot going on there - so I
hope so.

Did you say Root was based on J2EE? I moved away from
that because of its complexity - so I hope you left
that out :)

The coolest thing about zope imo, is the web interface
for developers,_users_, and content editors,etc. Maybe
we'll get to see that in Root? If you want to make it
approachable, from many angles, this would be a great
feature.

It would seem advantagous for all  to collectively
consider/define/provide use cases for, what IS a web
application platform - and not necessarily how it is
implemented - a path to WAP driven by consensus. In my
mind zope is a long way towards that and we can learn
a lot from it. They just made the mistake of using
python rather than, well, you know :) Anyway i really
like the start to this and rubycrafters.com.

Paul