Phil Tomson wrote:

>So Ruby awareness will just grow on it's own without any effort from us?
>It'll just happen?  I don't think so.

Ruby awareness has already been growing without any specific advertising
plans, as far as I know.

>I don't think anyone is contacting big players and proposing that Ruby be
>used for things it's not suited for, and they shouldn't.
>But what about proposing Ruby for things that it _is_ good for?

Apologies, I was taking a jab at a language I used to like a whole lot,
before I learned Ruby. Java had lots of advertising and big corporate
muscle behind it, which is partially why it's as big as it is today.

>No, but why not visit other forums and make intelligent comments about
>Ruby (backing them up with facts about the language).  I think there are
>many opportunities to do this in an appropriate way.  Nobody's going to
>pay much attention to a post on a forum that says "You should use Ruby
>because it rox!", but if you suggest why Ruby makes sense for the given
>application space it will be received positively.
>

>It all depends on how the evangelizing is done.  I would submit that we
>_do_ need Ruby evangelists, but they need to evangelize 'nicely' and
>intelligently.  I know that a few years back there was an article going
>around about how language evangelism is just terrible bad and must be
>avoided at all costs, but I wonder if it caused us to go too far in the
>other direction. "I'm not going to even mention Ruby as an option because
>I don't want to be seen as an evangelist".  The more people hear about
>Ruby, the more likely it is that they'll try it.
>
>We've all seen plenty of examples of superior commercial products that
>died due to poor marketing.
>
>So please _do_ write articles, post messages to other forums and even to
>Slashdot.  If we aim to be invisible, we will be.

I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about Ruby to other people. I think if
it's appropriate, you should bring it up. I myself have brought up Ruby
in forums I've posted to, like comp.lang.functional, and probably even
Slashdot.

I suppose when I said we dont' need evangelists, I really meant that we
don't need zealots. When there's a story about Java and someone goes in
and posts a random comment about how Python is better than Java, all it
does it make people angry. Feel free to evangelize as long as it's
appropriate, just don't go overboard and make people hate Ruby for its
evangelists/zealots. :)

Ruby will gain mass through people writing code and, of course, through
light evangelism. But I'm sure many of us already do that, so it's more
of a matter of time.

- Dan