Dan Doel wrote:

> Lothar Scholz wrote:
>
>> The result is a real fiasco for ruby in some areas.
>>
> Why is this a fiasco?
>
> Why must Ruby be far more known than Python?

No one said that.

> We here know it and like it. I'm sure if other people ask us our opinion
> on a good
> language, we'll suggest Ruby.

And if that other person is in charge of actually deciding something (like say, your boss), often they will get many opinions.  If your opinion is "ruby" and 4 others are "python", guess which way they will go?

> But why should it matter if Ruby is more known than Python or Java or C
> or whatever?

See above.  And as Lothar said, so more bugs will be found, more libraries will be written, better chance of using it in the workplace.

If it doesn't grow, it will eventually die.