On Saturday, January 31, 2004, 7:43:57 AM, Dave wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2004, at 14:29, Phil Tomson wrote:

>> Since the text to Dave & Andy's "Programming Ruby" book is freely
>> available, is anyone making changes to reflect changes in Ruby 1.8.x?
>>
>> The RubyGarden wiki lists ChangesToProgrammingRuby at:
>> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ChangesToProgrammingRuby
>>
>> Is anyone actually implementing these changes and if so is there a
>> version online anywhere that reflects these changes?  Maybe there
>> could be a CVS repository where the text is kept and people could be
>> allowed to submit updates?

> I've updated the built-ins (that's where all the new ri stuff came
> from). I've updated the tutorial stuff too. I'm currently stumped about
> what to do with the explosion in the supplied libraries in lib and
> ext/.

One option is to leave (most of) them out of the book.  The
documentation for these libs are available online, where there are no
page restrictions.

OK, so the online documentation isn't complete.  But it's probably
easier to complete that than to write the documentation into a book.

Perhaps the pickaxe could give a good summary of the purpose of each
library package with some examples, and then refer to the online docs.
That would make good paper-based reading.

Cheers,
Gavin