"Zach Dennis" <zdennis / mktec.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:LLENJLJKHAOFKOLPKLAFGEKBCAAA.zdennis / mktec.com...
> Hi,
>
> We've got a small project coming up at work that will deal with a MySQL
> database. It will be a small scale inventory management and
> production/purchase order management system. We are trying to decide
what
> language to write it in. We have ruled out Java, C, C++, anything .NET
and
> Python. We have Ruby and Perl left on our list(although we may include C
> extensions).
>
> Much of the data and transactions can be conceived to be very OO, which
is
> why I picked Ruby. Another fellow on my team though feels that since
Perl is
> older then Ruby and has OO ability that it is better to use because
there
> are more books, documentation, etc....(in English).
>
> The system will need to deal with different types of Queues and Threads
> since it will spawn across 2 servers and have multiple users on multiple
> workstations. It will also need to eventually interact with UPC
Scanners.

> Any particular reasons why or why not Ruby or Perl? We have a small list
of
> pros and cons, but I thought I might get some more insightful answers
here.

+ more readable, cleaner syntax
+ much cleaner OO
+ code is usually smaller (less typing => less errors)
+ thread support

- performance in some regions
- amount of tested and working code (RAA vs. CPAN)

I'd choose Ruby.

Regards

    robert