On Jan 28, 2004, at 21:54, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> Sam Roberts wrote:
>>> Ack, forget this.
>>>
>>> I found the docs. link:// is needed to make it realize its a
>>> hyperlink
>>> to a local file.
>
> I found that this works, sort of:
>
>   link:files/doc/my_file_txt.html

I've been looking at this, but it turns out to be somewhat harder that
it should be. The issue is one of relative file paths. In order to do
the hyperlinking, RDoc has to read all the source and then generate the
HTML (because there may be references to classes that haven;t been read
yet in early files). However, that also means that one class may be
defined in multiple files. The way RDoc builds its information about
class and module documentation, I can't tell which particular file a
comment came from. Instead, I just know the list of files that
contribute to the class the comment is associated with.

However, when you say doc/my_file.rb, I need to see if I know anything
about a file called 'my_file.rb' in the doc subdirectory or the
directory containing the file containing the comment (phew!). I just
don't have that information.

I'm looking to see what it would take to add it, but I'm also worried
about performance: with a large number of files and the potential for
large numbers of spurious matches on things that look like file names,
this could get slow.

Cheers

Dave