There are lots of ways to build Java webapps, so perhaps we shouldn't
continue this thread for too long.. :-)

> With Java the Servlet Container (aka Tomcat) takes care of marshalling and
> unmarshalling data.

I was referring of the marshalling / unmarshalling into a Java Bean from
request parameters (and translation into proper primitive types) not the
http decoding part - should have been more clear.

He'll also have to deal with page navigation and control flow, one thing
which Maverick gives you at low cost.  Using 'logical' page names in the
application instead of hardcoded forwards is nice to have for small
apps, a must for large ones.  Struts offers the same thing.

> Validation is another story, but that's usually easy in a Servlet given
> the size of this webapp.

Yup, he might not need anything... if he does, consider
http://formproc.sourceforge.net/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/

> I don't know maverick, but I'd like to comment on velocity.  For the last
> webapp we did we evaluated velocity, too, but came to the conclusion that
> JSP is the better choice:

one more negative for velocity
1.  more jsp books to help you learn

For the plus' of Velocity:

1.  IMO, shoter learning curve (don't need book :-)
2.  smaller, cleaner syntax - expressions already looks like the
      JSP 2.0 expression syntax
3.  promotes good MVC architecture - whereas JSP can be used
     in very wrong ways
4.  negligible performance hit
5.  does one thing very well

[more opinion on the velocity web site]

I have disliked JSP's since the beginning, and using them extensively
has only confirmed it.  JSP 2.0 is however a vast improvement.

Mark.Volkmann / AGEDWARDS.com
> I'll second that recommendation for using Maverick.
> I've created a PowerPoint presentation on using Maverick that I'd gladly
> share if you're interested.

I wouldn't mind seeing that... I'm thinking of presenting something
myself ...