In message "[ruby-talk:9076] Re: pid of executed program"
    on 01/01/11, Phil Tomson <ptkwt / user2.teleport.com> writes:

>Unfortuneatly, no.  I've been trying to do the same thing.  The pid you
>get back from fork is the pid of the shell that the external command was
>exec'ed into, not the pid for the command itself.  What I find is that if
>I send a SIGTERM to the pid I get back from fork it does indeed kill the
>shell, but the child pid (the pid for the command that was exec'ed) isn't
>effected and the child just continues to run.

See [ruby-talk:8631], i.e.,
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/8631

-- Gotoken

FIY: To refer ruby-talk articles, writing as [ruby-talk:xxxx] will
     help making link in the web archive on blade. See this article
     on blade for example.