"Don Dwoske" <ddwoske / yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:moednYyJToYT8ovd4p2dnA / comcast.com...

> I would recommend Ruby wherever appropriate, but in this case, I agree
> with Robert.  His list of reasons was sound, I won't repeat them.

Thanks!  :-)

> The only thing I would disagree with in his recommendation, is that you
> *should* use an app framework - but not a fancy one.

Exactly.  Well, it depens on what you cann an "app framework".  A servlet
container does a lot of what one might expect from a framework.  But,
yeah, it should be lightweight.

>  Struts is too
> bloated for small apps and too big a learning curve.

Exactly.

>  But having
> something to easily do validation and unmarshalling of request
> parameters is useful.

With Java the Servlet Container (aka Tomcat) takes care of marshalling and
unmarshalling data.  Plus you need some library that can handle multipart
POSTS (also available from apache.org).

Validation is another story, but that's usually easy in a Servlet given
the size of this webapp.

> I'd use maverick with throwaway controllers and velocity instead of
> struts and jsp.
> http://mav.sourceforge.net

I don't know maverick, but I'd like to comment on velocity.  For the last
webapp we did we evaluated velocity, too, but came to the conclusion that
JSP is the better choice:

 - better integrated, all the nifty details are
   already handled by the servlet container, i.e.,
   you don't need to write your velocity servlet,
   you don't need to take care of modification
   checks for the templates

 - JSP's are compiled into classes

 - better performance (your mileage may vary)

 - with upcoming JSP spec 2.0 and Tomcat 5 support for
   expressions all over the page, which means quite
   convenient JSP coding (no need for
   <c:out value="${fancyExpression}"/> but instead
   ${fancyExpression}

Kind regards

    robert