brian wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 tuinstra / clarkson.edu wrote:
>
> > I can't compare the "before DDA" days to now, as I'm one of those
> > who came to Ruby because of that article.  But I am finding that
> > sifting through even just the message headers is time-consuming.
> > Is it possible, please, to remove the "[ruby-talk:XXXX]" string
> > from the subject header, so that list subscribers can organize
> > email by thread?  Not everyone has whiz-bang email clients, or
> > the time to research/hack the guts of the one they use, or learn
> > a new one.
> >
> > Even just putting the "[...]" at the end of the subject line,
> > instead of at the beginning, would help.  Sorting by subject
> > would then gather the threads.
> >
> > Please?
> >
> >   --Dwight Tuinstra
> >     tuinstra / clarkson.edu
> >

> I have to disagree here.  That little "[ruby-talk:XXXX]" thing has already
> helped me look up a previous thread of discussion, and I've used it to
> guide my non-subscribing friends through the archives.  I shudder to think
> what would happen if I had to refer them to the third reply in the thread
> from January 2001 that starts with the message line "bug??"
>
> Having the mailing list identified in brackets at the beginning of each
> message is also used on virtually every mailing list I subscribe
> to.  That's including a very non-technical Tom Waits-related list.
>
> Hmm... what about appending the message id number to the end of the
> message body when the post is processed by the mailing list program?  I
> don't know how practical that would be to apply, but it might make it
> easier for them non-whiz-bang email clients to organize a thread, since
> the brackets would just contain '[ruby-talk]'.  But you'd still be able to
> refer to a message by its id and find it in the mailing list that way.
>
> Would that be practical, or even possible?  Anyways, it's just a thought.
>
> Brian Wisti
> brian / coolnamehere.com

OK, I wasn't being clear.  Having "[ruby-talk]" in subject headers
is definitely helpful.  What's irksome is the number that's also
in the braces, since it throws off sorting things into threads.
Thus my suggestion to put it at the end of the subject line ...
or, perhaps, put the list name at the beginning of the subject line,
and the number at the end: "[ruby-talk] subject header [msg-id#]".

  --Dwight Tuinstra
    tuinstra / clarkson.edu