Since the "id" attribute has a special meaning for Amrita itself, you
have to use a workaround. If you need to define id attributes (that is,
id attributes that are to be present in Amrita's output), you can
insert an "__id__" attribute. During Amrita's processing, all "__id__"
attributes are renamed to "id" attributes. Something like this should
do the trick:

tmpl = TemplateText.new <<END
   <ul __id__="navlist">
     <li id="links"></li>
   </ul>
END

data = {:links => ["item 1",
                    a(:__id__ => "active"){"item 2 (active)"},
                    "item 3"]}