On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:55:15 +0900, Pe, Botp wrote:
> Simon Strandgaard [mailto:neoneye / adslhome.dk] advises:
[snip]
>> When the apprentice has reached this state, then we can move
>> on to OOP.
>
> I've tried this method on my other son and other students of mine, too (I
> was once a teacher =). But there is an unfortunate trend, once they learn
> how to do procedural things, it is very hard to introduce to them oop (got
> this fr my friend instructors, don't know how true). Children like to do the
> shortcuts... I will experiment the oo-first-method also and hopefully, the
> ruby way will show how..

Maybe by showing scary examples of what mess procedure-only code can turn
into, will make it easier to understand how OO can simplify it.

By using strategy-pattern or visitor-pattern you can eliminate most
if statements. Thats nice...

[snip]
> Btw, I was following up on your very promising aeditor project. Is it
> version 3 already??

ATM I am working on a regexp engine, which is needed for syntax-hiliting.
It will be compatible with perl6-regexp and ruby/perl5-regexp.
The biggest bump on the road seems to be nested repeats, For instance
/(a.*b){5}/ is entertaining. Right now I am slightly regex mental. I will
become a happier human-instance when this task gets completed.

--
Simon Strandgaard