On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:35:17AM +0900, David Alan Black wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Yasushi Shoji wrote:
>
> > At Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:23:30 +0900,
> > John Rubinubi wrote:
> >
> > > Ruby *is* right for what I do (play with & learn Ruby) but I have to agree
> > > with Stan that the volume of mail on this list is unmanagable. I wish
> > > there was a lower volume mailing list aimed at beginners, (or at least
> > > those not on the cutting edge) and not echoed to usenet.
> >
> > well, i kinda agree.  these days (after Dr. Dobb's article?) -talk has
> > about 100/day posts, which is much larger number compare to all three
> > japanese lists combined.
>
> I'm thrilled -- what's everyone's problem?  :-)
>
> > I don't like the idea of beginners list (who's gonna answer questions
> > if all of them are beginners ;), but having developper's list (for
> > people who want to discuss about interpreter, some new features or
> > some topic beginners don't wanna care) wouldn't kill -talk, would it?
>
> Just to voice a bit of skepticism....  Has this kind of list-splitting
> ever worked?  I'm thinking of Linux and Perl, mainly, and I'm thinking
> of Usenet, mainly, so maybe there are exceptions.  (I've never been
> on the Perl5 Porters list, so maybe that's one.)  But it always seems
> that the splitting just results in a lot of cross-posting, and then
> arguments about whether the cross-posting was appropriate, and so on.
>
> Once again, I wish I had access to the Japanese Ruby lists, which
> sound like they're pretty successful from this perspective.

Why not make english the language of existing ruby-*
lists and use those instead of creating new ones? I don't see a reason for
having both english and japanese lists covering the same material. That way
people just misses interesting discussions. English people can't get the
japanese discussions and the japanese people have to read both lists to not
miss out.

I am not that well informed with japanese society, but I imagine that most
computer-literate people, especially programmers, understands english just
fine and from the postings japanese people make here in ruby-talk I can't
complain about the level of expression either (being from Sweden,
Englishmen might have another opinion of both japanese people's and my
english :) ). Is english that big of a problem for the japanese?

I for one would like to read the ruby-ext list..

--
Patrik Sundberg  -  email: ps / raditex.se || ps / radiac.mine.nu
---> telefon: 013-178 567  -  mobiltelefon: 070-760 22 40 <---