Simon Strandgaard [mailto:neoneye / adslhome.dk] advises:

> > I am a newbie, and am trying to build a lesson plan for
> learning oop
> > for beginners like me and non-programmers -and my son fits
> the bill. I
> > hope to finish it before summer so that me and my son can learn
> > together.
> [snip]
>
> I tried to teach programming to my little bother (13 years
> old). He understood the basic concepts (variables, methods),
> but lacks the motivation for doing coding himself. I tried..
>
> First teach the apprentice what a variable is:  a pocket
> where you can store useful things.
>
> Next teach control structures:  if then else, loop, 42.times, ..
>
> 3rd teach methods.
>
> Its more interesting when there is some sort of graphical
> output. If you can make a small game:  tetris.  So that the
> apprentice can better see the consequences of changes.
>
> When the apprentice has reached this state, then we can move
> on to OOP.

I've tried this method on my other son and other students of mine, too (I
was once a teacher =). But there is an unfortunate trend, once they learn
how to do procedural things, it is very hard to introduce to them oop (got
this fr my friend instructors, don't know how true). Children like to do the
shortcuts... I will experiment the oo-first-method also and hopefully, the
ruby way will show how..

> Wish you luck ;-)

Thanks, Simon.
Btw, I was following up on your very promising aeditor project. Is it
version 3 already??

> --
> Simon Strandgaard

kind regards -botp