(reply at the bottom)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Francis Hwang wrote:

# You can see the RubyGems documentation at
# http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl , and Rich Kilmer has a
# pretty extensive example at
# http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2003/11/rubygems_lives.html .
#
# >From the outside it looks like RubyGems still has a ways to go, but is
# definitely usable enough to do the basics. I've packaged Lafcadio as a
# rubygem, and I believe others are doing so right now.
#
# Francis
#
#
# ptkwt / aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote in message news:<buta4802lml / enews4.newsguy.com>...
# > After RubyConf2002 some people decided that a package
# > management/installation system should be developed and so they made
# > raainstall.  Now, there's not much activity with raainstall - it sort of
# > works as-is now, but work seems to have stopped on it.
# >
# > At RubyConf2003 there was apparently another uproar about package
# > management/installation and thus rubygems was born and received some
# > attention for a few weeks.  Will rubygems meet the same fate as
# > raainstall?
# >
# > Will RubyConf2004 spawn yet another package management scheme that is
# > destined to fall into obsurity...?
# >
# > I guess it's not as big of an issue now that 1.8.x includes a lot more
# > packages, but it would still be nice to have a good package management
# > system for Ruby...
# >
# > Still hoping, but not holding my breath.
# >
# > Phil
#

RubyGems is pretty much feature-complete and usable.  What we really need
to do is a release.  As of now you can get the code from CVS and give it a
try.

Phil, if you'd like to help out, check it out.

Chad