On Friday 23 January 2004 02:06 pm, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> A new version of Ruby/Extensions, a suite of useful methods added to
> Ruby's built-in classes, has been released. Version 0.3 consolidates 8
> new or improved methods since version 0.2.
>
> See http://extensions.rubyforge.org for details.  A complete list of
> methods implemented is listed below.

hi Gavin,

first let me say that i think this is a very admirable project. it provides
some stadardization to standard class methods that are not quite common
enough to be included in ruby proper, as well as "trial arena" for possible
inclusion into ruby proper in the future.

i am wondering, given the stated goals, in what direction you plan to proceed
as submissions are made to the project? will you further modularize the
extensions or will you instead limit what can be a part of these extensions?
for instance, in my programs i sometimes include my own modifications to ruby
core classes, one of the main changes consits of some method additions to
NilClass.

  class NilClass
    def to_f; 0.0; end
    def to_h; {}; end