Rasputin <rasputnik / hellooperator.net> wrote in message news:<400FCE8C.30405 / hellooperator.net>...

> Thats the clincher for me - is VisualWorks windows only?

No, VW actually runs on lots of platforms - Windows, Mac, and various
breeds of Unix.  Joey mentioned WindowsCE; I know there's been some
experimental work done to get it on CE, but AFAIK it hasn't been
released yet.

When I say Squeak is more portable, I'm talking about two things - one
is that it has a history of being ported to bare hardware and obscure
platforms, and the other is that because its UI simply grabs a single
window and paints pixels to it directly, Squeak looks *identical*,
fonts and all, whether you're running on an IBM mainframe
(http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/18.html) or a cellphone.

If anyone *is* looking for a well-integrated Windows-only Smalltalk,
Dolphin is wonderful, and quite cheap.

Avi