Avi Bryant wrote:

>Carsten Eckelmann <careck / circle42.com> wrote in message news:<400E16B5.6070505 / circle42.com>...
>

>>Joey Gibson wrote:
>>

>>>Why limit yourselves to using Squeak? Cincom Smalltalk (nee
>>>VisualWorks) is available in a non-commercial version for free. It's
>>>not crippled at all and it is free. Those of us who used VisualWorks
>>>years ago will remember how nice it is. Here's the URL:
>>>http://www.cincom.com/scripts/smalltalk.dll/downloads/index.ssp
>>>

>>Why exactly is using Squeak a limitation? Could you expand a little more
>>on that subject? I thought Squeak is a full-featured Smalltalk system?
>>

>It is.  I don't really know what "limitations" Joey means, but here
>are some differences:

<snip>

>- Squeak is much more portable: it runs bit and pixel identical on
>every major desktop platform, some minor ones (Acorn, anyone?),
>PocketPC etc

Thats the clincher for me - is VisualWorks windows only?

It would be a better choice for me as a SmallTalk newbie, as all the ST
books
seem to be VW-centric.

( Incidentally, thanks for SeaSide, Avi. Most intuitive webapp framework
I've seen:
 the main reason I'm interested in learning Smalltalk is to get a better
handle
on it and therefore borges - a.k.a 'SeaSide in ruby' ).