>I can't select which methods I'm importing from a module. Same with
>C, C++, Java, and C# (as far as I know).

I also thought of what you said and why it did not bother me as much in those.
Not sure about Java or C# as i have not used them.
I think the reason is two-fold.  On those languages I don't expect int, char*,
or the STL to have modifications, for one.
And also because C and C++ also have a more powerful way around pretty much any
conflict.
The existance of the pre-processor and the ability to define/undefine macros of
anything is your way around any issue of integrating two libraries with
elements that share the same signature, class, function or constant.  Not
pretty at all nor would I recommend it, but functional if the need arises.