In article <89539780CB9BD51182270002A5897DF605ED006B / hqempn04.agedwards.com>, Volkmann, Mark wrote:
> I think one of the main points of learning a new language each year is that
> it should differ in some significant way from the languages you already
> know.  Having a syntax that resembles Ruby may disqualify Scala.

Syntax isn't everything.  Scala has type inferencing, which is a pretty
major difference.  (I'm tempted to say Ruby : Scala :: Python : Haskell,
but that breaks down in several places.)

I notice it compiles to the JVM, but the page also mentions .NET.  I
wonder if it can seamlessly interface with the Java / CLI libraries...

Joe