------extPart_000_003C_01C3DF37.207DB350

I want to restrict the result set returned from the tables([pattern]) function of the ODBC:Database class. What types of a "pattern" does this funcion accept?

When I connect as scott/tiger and then use the tables function without any pattern I get 1932 rows in the result set. Only 4 rows are from the scott schema. The bulk of the other rows are of these types: "SYSTEM "VIEW", "SYNONYM", and "SYSTEM TABLE". The owner of these objects include "SYS" and "SYSTEM.

The Microsoft ODBC documentation specifies the function prototype for a SQLTables function. The documentation indicates that a "String search pattern for schema names", "String search pattern for table names" and a "List of table types to match" (in the form of a "value list argument") are provided for in the prototype. Some examples show the "table name" argument with a pattern of NULL, "%", "Orders", "Accounts Payable", "\"Accounts Payable\"". These patterns are in the sixth argument of the prototype.

I've used a number of different patterns with no success - the result set size is zero. Therefore, I could use some help in identifying how to specify a pattern. More specifically, how do I indicate that the pattern applies to the SchemaName, TableName, or TableType argument? Also, is the pattern a regular expression pattern or some other type of pattern enclosed in a string? It looks like the pattern uses the SQL wildcards of % and _.

Thanks in advance for any insights into this topic!

Regards,

Marty

------extPart_000_003C_01C3DF37.207DB350--