george.marrows / ps.ge.com (George Marrows) wrote :
    [ Re: ruby-dev summary 22435-22573 ]
    at Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:05:07 +0900

> It's a very similar approach to ByteCodeRuby
> (http://rubyforge.org/projects/bytecoderuby/), which also works as a

That's reason why YARV is YARV :)

And I found some other VMs. Do you know others?

- ByteCodeRuby
http://rubyforge.org/projects/bytecoderuby/

- The Carbone Ruby VM
http://www.nongnu.org/carbone/README.html

- YARV
http://www.atdot.net

> Ruby extension. BCR needs to patch Ruby slightly though - I'm
> impressed Sasada-san has managed to avoid this so far.

To retrieve "yield" from c-proc, we must patch to ruby interpreter.
(or replace every block proc, ex: Array#each, IO#open, ...)
But now, YARV has no function to do this.

> From an admittedly brief glance at the code, I think it's premature to
> compare YARV and Ruby performance - for example, YARV doesn't seem to
> handle optional, scatter and block arguments when calling methods, all
> of which have costs. Apologies if I'm overlooking something ..

Yes, YARV can't these and other many many functions.

--
// SASADA Koichi @ namikilab.tuat.ac.jp
//