> vanjac12 / yahoo.com 1/16/04 6:25AM
>I foolishly went install crazy and installed Fink and XFree86 (or XDarwin)
>at the same time as your ruby4Mac package.
>Fink put most of its stuff in a dir called sw, but I didn't explore where
>things were until I installed all this, so now I'm not sure what installed
>what where--esp. the X package.

Fink stores everything in /sw - keeps it clean and out of the way.  You can also install Ruby via Fink, as well as XFree86 I think.  On my iBook I, too, went install-happy: I've all of KDE, including KOffice, on my iBook ;-)

>Anyway, even though I have X installed (which I don't really need)
>I am going to use the Terminal for a while, and it still runs ruby 1.6.7.

The terminal is just a place to run a "shell" such as /bin/ksh or /bin/sh.  The shells use a PATH variable to determine which directories to look in for executables - use the command "set" to see all variables known to the shell.

>How do I get it to run ruby 1.8? I would like to keep 1.6.7
>as backup for a while, till I'm sure things are ok with 1.8.

Whatever directory it is in, you can specify it exactly: /usr/bin/ruby-1.8/bin/ruby or whatever it is and run it that way.  You could also move it to where the ruby binary is but give it a new new: ruby-1.8 for example.

Be careful if you install ruby 1.8 that you don't overwrite ruby 1.6.....

David Douthitt
CUNA & Affiliates
UNIX Systems Administrator
LPI Level 1, Linux+