On Jan 15, 2004, at 20:16, Jim Freeze wrote:

> On Friday, 16 January 2004 at  9:29:59 +0900, Nathaniel Talbott wrote:
>>
>> DRbFire might interest you:
>>
>>    http://rubyforge.org/projects/drbfire/
>>
>> It's still very much in development, but it allows bi-directional
>> communication through a firewall. It's more oriented towards
>> circumventing client-side firewalls, but in your case I think it would
>> work fine if you just forwarded the additional port it needs (your
>> normal DRb port + 1).
>

> Ok, I'm not too bright on things like this, but it sounds cool.
> What would be the value of such a thing? Can you provide some
> example uses that are subversive, legal, sly or whatever? :)

It's not really subversive... basically, it just allows the server to
call back to clients that are behind firewalls. So the client can pass
the server a proxied (DRbUndumped) object, and at some later time, the
server can call a method on that object and have that method call
relayed back to the client. Normally this is done via the server
initiating the connection, but if the client is behind a firewall (or
NAT), that doesn't work. So we have the client initiate connections to
the server that the server then uses for calling back to the client.

Does that make more sense?

Nathaniel

<:((><