In article <C92F02CC-46C3-11D8-B242-000A95676A62 / pragprog.com>,
Dave Thomas  <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:
:
: On Jan 14, 2004, at 12:27, Hez R wrote:
: > If you've found it so usefull support the authors!
:
: Here, here!!  :))
:
: >  Especially if you want a version for 1.8, if we all just send them
: > cheques for it before its printed can they but create it?
:
: I've got the class and module library section all updated, but I'm
: struggling knowing what to do with the standard library. In 1.8 it's
: now enormous, and documenting it all at the same level of detail as the
: 1.6 book does would be a gigantic task. Would people be upset if any
: new version of the book had a more synoptic overview of the library
: (things like yaml, opensll, etc)

Oh er, well, see...

The library reference is the most useful thing about the Pickaxe!  At
least, I read the book once, and now it's considerably more well-thumbed
towards the end.  Ruby's syntax is so simple that you don't have to
spend much time discussing it, so you can get straight to the library.

Perhaps another volume which is entirely standard-library reference?

--Dave