> From: Robert Klemme [mailto:bob.news / gmx.net]
> > Try /./ instead of /.*/.  Unexpected stuff will come at you one
> character at a time, which may or may not be ok.
>
> Looks like "|.*" is already present above.  Or did you want
> to point to something else?

Ummm ... I was suggesting "|." *instead* of "|.*"

irb(main):001:0> "foo bar baz".scan(/foo|bar|./)
["foo", " ", "bar", " ", "b", "a", "z"]

See how the unexpected stuff comes at you one character at a time.  This may
or may not be a problem.

> > For example, if all you are interested in are patterns
> > like "some_var = some_thing_else", then end your token list with
> > something like /[^a-zA-Z0-9_=]*/.
>
> Again I'd suggest to consider the "+" since the empty
> sequence is not very often interesting as a token.

Yes, "+" is a better option than "*".

Another anoying feature of scan is this if you have parenthesis in your RE,
then it starts returning lists of matches.

--
-- Jim Weirich / Compuware
-- FWP Capture Services