On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:23:53 +0100, Martin Maciaszek
<mmaciaszek / gmx.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:58:33 +0900, Eric Sunshine
><sunshine / sunshineco.com> wrote:
>[...]
>>
>>Have you actually installed the Ruby built this way and then removed the
>>directory in which you built the package?  If so, are you able to load any of
>>the extension modules, such as 'digest'?  The reason I ask is that,
>>historically, NS/OS hard-coded the pathnames of shared libraries into
>>programs/plugins which link against those libraries.  For instance, if you
>>built the 'digest' extension by linking it against the shared library
>>$HOME/ruby/libruby.dylib, and then you installed Ruby and removed the entire
>>$HOME/ruby directory, the 'digest' module would still look for libruby.dylib
>>at $HOME/ruby.
>>
>You're right. After I removed the build directory, ruby stopped
>working. I'll have to take a closer look at that.

A temporary solution to this is to add /usr/local/lib (in my case) to
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. It works similar to setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH on
other Unices. I have to take a look if there is a solution that works
without setting env vars. But I'm using NS/OS something over 1 month
now so I still haven't groked all the quirks of that system :)

Cheers
Martin