Simon Strandgaard wrote:

>First Paul William wrote:
>

>>./ normally does not have vaporware... are a bunch of ruby (a very high
>>level language) programmers going learn asm?
>>

>Then Zach Dennis wrote:
>

>>Somehow i have this strange feeling that not all ruby peeps are strictly
>>high level programmers.
>>

>We hope to stand on the giant shoulders, and have
>been talking about using the L4 micro kernel, so
>there won't be any need for assembler coding.
>C/C++ code at worst.
>

>A top-down approach where proof of concepts are
>worked out first while following the test-first paradigm.
>When all the pieces are in place, we can move to the
>implementation phase. If things are too slow in Ruby,
>then we may have to do it in C/C++.

Random tidbit/link:

Check out LLVM (Low-level VM), I've been contemplating using that as a
back-end for a Ruby compiler/VM. They have a recent paper where they run
LLVM at the kernel level: LLVA (Low-level Virtual Architecture). Might
give you some nice ideas... I know the PyPy folks have some plans on
using it so there is probably something of interest there.

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

Regards,

Robert Feldt