On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:28, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
> I've build an implementation of Martin Fowler's ActiveRecord pattern
> [1] with support for single-table inheritance [2]. It's designed with
> the notion of "Convention Over Configuration", which basically means
> that you follow a set of naming conventions to get a bunch of behavior
> for free. Best to show with an example:

Whoa, me too -- I came up with it while coding an MVC-structured web app
this week.  My code works like so:

class Foo < SQLObject
  key_field :id
  field :name
  field :amount
  field :date
  field :quantity
  calculated_field: total
end

and there's a get, put & find method.  field defines accessors for the
values, and sets up an array of fields in the class instance.

The table that this comes from is defined to be class.name.lower+'s' --
overridable by overriding the class' table method.

It works well for me -- it hides enough of the SQL to be "OO enough" for
me, and lets me use inheritance to show relation.

Ari